Online Rummy Game, accordingly by the definition of Supreme Court is betting and wagering on games of chances excluding the games which require skills. But wait, isn’t Rummy a game of skill? Skillset for online rummy and strategy outweigh the probability of chance. According to the act of picking up and discarding cards at his own peril entirely depends on the skills and level of understanding by the player.
Quoting the 1996 Judgement by Supreme Court
These expression ‘gaming’ in the two Acts has to be interpreted in the light of the law laid down by this Court in the two 1957 cases, wherein it has been authority held that a competition which substantially depends on skill is not gambling. Online rummy game is the act or practice of gambling on a game of chance. Online Gaming in the two Acts would, therefore, mean wagering or betting on games of chance.”
Online rummy, golf, and chess are considered to be games of skill. The law has reasoned that there are few games, if any, which consist purely of chance or skill, and as such a game of chance is one in which the chance leads over the skill, and a game of skill predominates over chance.
As per judgment by Supreme Court on 1968
Online rummy game is not entirely the game of chance like the ‘three-card’ game. The ‘three-card’ game, which goes with different names like ‘flush’, ‘brag’, and many more, it is a game of pure chance. The online Rummy game, on the other hand, requires a certain amount of skill because the fall of the card has to be memorized and there building up of Rummy requires considerable skill in holding and discarding cards.
So, it is pretty evident that the skill set of the player determines the result of the game.
- Supreme Court – 1967 – State of Andhra Pradesh v. K. Satyanarayana- Rummy is a game of skills. The Supreme Court of India ruled that Rummy requires a certain amount of skill as the fall of the card has to be memorized. The decision has been relied on in various subsequent judgments.
- Karnataka HC – 1982 – Karnataka State vs. AnantaswamyIyer – Rummy for stakes to be legal – “The game of Rummy with cards is not a game of chance but a game of skill. The collection of commission from the users of the game who are playing Rummy does not make it a house of gambling. Thus, it does not amount to any offence.”
- In 2002 Andhra Pradesh High Court in the case of State of Andhra Pradesh v. D Krishna Kumar said “Playing rummy even for stakes or money does not violate provisions of the Andhra Pradesh Gaming Act, 1974.
- Madras High court in 2011 declared that the game of 13-cards like Rummy is a purely a game of skill, and is not a gambling or game of chance. Justice S Rajeswaran, relying on a Supreme Court order of 1968 vintage, said: “The game of Rummy is mainly and predominantly a game of skill.”
- Moreover, on Aug 13, 2015, Supreme Court while hearing an appeal challenging a Madras High Court ruling that playing rummy with stakes amounted to gambling ruled that the decision of this case would not anyhow impact the online gaming sites and apps.
The central law on gambling and the most succeeding state laws (The Public Gambling Act), mentioned that there is nothing in the act which shall apply to games of mere skills wherever played. Under the Constitution of India Article 19 (g), it is protected by the law.
Exemptions to play rummy online at The Rummy Round
- State laws of Assam, Orissa &Telangana do not provide a clear exemption to playing for cash.
- When we get more clarity on the laws in these states, therummyround.com would consider offering services to the residents.
- Enjoy playing 100% Legal cash game Rummy and Win lots of Cash prizes @therummyround!